What could be better than homemade mac & cheese that takes just as long to make as the stuff that comes out of the box? Â Seriously, if you thought you had to turn on the oven and slave away you are looking at the wrong recipe!
Making mac & cheese at home lets you control the quality of the ingredients, the quantity you want to make, and it tastes better than the boxed stuff.
- 1 16oz box whole-wheat elbow macaroni (or pasta of choice)
- 3/4 cup 1/2&1/2 or whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1tsp salt
- 2 TB butter
- Bring water to boil with 1 tsp salt and cook pasta according to directions on box. Drain, bring pasta back inside pot.
- Over medium heat, add 1/2 & 1/2 (or milk), shredded cheese and butter to pasta. Stir with wooden spoon for about 3-5minutes until cheese is melted, and sauce has thickened.
- If you like your mac & cheese with a “saucier” or “creamier” texture; add a few more tablespoons of milk.
Serve and Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: Laura Fuentes is the Chief MOM atÂ MOMablesâ„¢.Â A wife, mother of 3 and a lunch enthusiast who insists on healthy, wholesome food for her family.Â Â On her personal blog,Â Super Glue Mom, she writes about motherhood, green living, deadlines and keeping her cool, even when her kids super-glued her hair.Â Sheâ€™s also a food contributor to numerous sites, and helps parents overcome the difficulties of cooking forÂ picky eaters.