What could be better than homemade mac & cheese that takes just as long to make as the stuff that comes out of the box? Seriously, if you thought you had to turn on the oven and slave away you are looking at the wrong recipe!
Making mac & cheese at home lets you control the quality of the ingredients, the quantity you want to make, and it tastes better than the boxed stuff.
- 1 16oz box whole-wheat elbow macaroni (or pasta of choice)
- 3/4 cup 1/2&1/2 or whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1tsp salt
- 2 TB butter
- Bring water to boil with 1 tsp salt and cook pasta according to directions on box. Drain, bring pasta back inside pot.
- Over medium heat, add 1/2 & 1/2 (or milk), shredded cheese and butter to pasta. Stir with wooden spoon for about 3-5minutes until cheese is melted, and sauce has thickened.
- If you like your mac & cheese with a “saucier” or “creamier” texture; add a few more tablespoons of milk.
Serve and Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: Laura Fuentes is the Chief MOM at MOMables™. A wife, mother of 3 and a lunch enthusiast who insists on healthy, wholesome food for her family. On her personal blog, Super Glue Mom, she writes about motherhood, green living, deadlines and keeping her cool, even when her kids super-glued her hair. She’s also a food contributor to numerous sites, and helps parents overcome the difficulties of cooking for picky eaters.